European survey on working time and work-life balance (ESWT)
The first company survey was carried out in 2004-2005 and focused on working time and work-life balance policies in establishments in the former EU15 Member States and six of the new: Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Latvia, Poland and Slovenia.
An overview report and a number of reports on selected topics were published in 2006-2007. They are listed on the right side of your screen.
Objectives of the survey
- The survey aimed to complement existing Eurofound data and research on working time which is based primarily on surveys of individual workers and on literature reviews and case studies.
- It was designed to find out whether, why and how companies make use of the broad variety of working time arrangements (e.g. full- and part-time work, overtime, flexi-time, shift work, phased and early retirement and childcare leave arrangements).
- It included all companies with 10 or more employees across all sectors of activity, including the public sector.
- Telephone interviews were carried out in more than 16,000 workplaces in the EU15 Member States
- Both personnel managers and – where available – employee representatives were interviewed. The survey is representative for all establishments with 10 or more employees, and covers both the private and public sector
- The establishments interviewed were randomly selected
- Fieldwork started in the second half of September 2004 and was coordinated by TNS Infratest Sozialforschung.
After completion of the first phase, the survey was extended to six of the new EU Member States: Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Latvia, Poland and Slovenia.
- Telephone interviews were carried out in more than 4,000 workplaces
- Phase 2 fieldwork, coordinated by TNS Infratest Sozialforschung, started in May 2005
- Interviews were conducted by the following national institutes:
|Czech Republic||TNS AISA, Prague|
|Hungary||TNS Hungary, Budapest|
|Latvia||TNS Baltic Data House, Riga|
|Poland||TNS OBOP, Warsaw|
|Slovenia||RM Plus, Maribor|