Vacancy notice - Ref.: EF/TA/09/06
Notice of Open Competition
Eurofound, based in Dublin, Ireland is an autonomous body established by a regulation of the Council of Ministers of the European Communities. Eurofound is organising an open competition to fill a vacancy and to form a reserve list for the recruitment of a:
Budget Officer (F / M)
(Temporary Agent, Category AD6)
Eurofound is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates are asked to give careful attention to this notice of competition and to apply only through Eurofound’s online recruitment system.
Reporting to the Head of Administration and Finance, the Budget Officer will be responsible for implementing and monitoring the annual budget (approximately 20 million euro in 2009), and supervising the creation of a budgetary structure. The successful candidate will be in permanent liaison with all the units of Eurofound as well as the European Commission, Court of Auditors and other EU Bodies.
The Budget Officer will assure the day to day management of a small team of Financial Assistants. He or she will work in close cooperation with the Accounting Officer.
The Budget Officer will be primarily responsible for the following:
Budgetary monitoring / reporting:
- Drafting the annual budget and any amendments;
- Initiating and monitoring budgetary transfers;
- Monitoring budget utilisation;
- Supervising and monitoring all financial transactions;
- Monthly reports to management;
- Designing new reports tailored to Eurofound needs;
- Ensuring the implementation of the budget monitoring tools in each unit and updating regularly the information on the Finance Intranet site;
- Training staff in budgetary matters and the use of budgetary reports;
- Ensuring that coding in the accountancy system is coherent with the reporting needs.
- Budget forecasting:
- Implementing the budget forecasting tool; training the Business Units in using this tool;
- Organising forecasting meetings with the different Units;
- Providing forecasting analysis and reports to Management;
- Cost control:
- Ensuring full implementation of Activity Based Budgeting;
- Analysing costs throughout Eurofound’s operations.
- Leading a small team;
- Liaising with the European Commission with regard to problems and changes in the accountancy system ABAC;
- Ensuring that all necessary budgetary delegations of powers are in place;
- Creating and updating procedures regarding budget implementation, budget monitoring, budget forecasting;
- Managing projects in the Finance area;
- Liaising with the Operational Support Unit (OSU) with regards to the Financial Regulation and its Implementing Rules;
- Assisting and supporting the Administration and Finance Unit with regard to other duties that may be assigned.
II. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
The competition is open to candidates who, by the closing date for applications, fulfil the following conditions:
A. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- You must be a citizen of one of the Member States of the European Union;
- You must be entitled to your full rights as a citizen;
- You must have fulfilled any obligations imposed on you by the laws concerning military service;
- You must be able to produce character references as to suitability for performance of the duties specified;
- You must have a thorough knowledge of one official language of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Union. As English is the main working language of Eurofound, proficiency in English is required to a level necessary for the performance of your duties. The post of Budget Officer requires a high level of English (see );
- University degree or diploma:
- a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is four years or more, or
- a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma and appropriate professional experience of at least one year when the normal period of university education is at least three years (this one year’s professional experience cannot be included in the post-graduate professional experience required below)
- In addition to the above, at least 3 years of relevant and proven professional experience gained after obtaining the diploma
B. SELECTION CRITERIA
Specific requirements - list of qualifications and professional experiecne required:
- Relevant professional qualification;
- At least 3 years relevant work experience in budgeting or accounting;
- Very good knowledge of budgeting and accounting principles;
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills;
- Experience of working with regulations and procedures;
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel;
- Very good communication skills with customer service orientation;
- Good organisational skills;
- Ability to work well in a team;
- Proven ability to lead a team;
- Good communication and influencing skills;
- Honesty and probity with regard to protection of Eurofound’s financial interests.
- Knowledge of ABAC (European Commission financial accounting system) and SAP as well as experience of using reporting tools such as Business Objects
- Knowledge of databases, especially FileMaker Pro
- A knowledge of the EU Financial Regulation and its Implementing Rules
- Capacity to work independently and meticulously with attention to detail
- Knowledge of French
- Experience of working in an international environment
Candidates must be able to prove that they meet the conditions for admission by means of appropriate documents (copies of diplomas, certificates from university authorities and employers, etc.).
III. ORGANISATION OF THE COMPETITION
The competition will be based on an examination of application forms followed by testing and interviewing of short-listed candidates.
A. Examination of applications
1. A list of candidates who have submitted their applications (using the official application form and by the closing date specified - see Section V) and who fulfil the eligibility criteria set out in Section II A, will be drawn up. The list and the application forms will be forwarded to the Selection Committee. To assist in the administration of applications, candidates are requested to submit a letter of motivation and curriculum vitae in English, together with their application.
2. The Selection Committee will examine the applications and draw up a list of candidates who fulfil the selection criteria set out in Section II B. It will base its decision exclusively on the information given on the application form. Candidates who do not fulfil the requisite conditions for admission under Section II or who have not properly completed their application will be eliminated at this stage.
The most suitable candidates will be invited to tests and interview(s) with the Selection Committee. Candidates will be required to take written tests in English (or in their second language if their mother tongue is English) and in EU knowledge as well as a competency test. Failure to achieve the qualifying mark in any of the tests will result in exclusion from the competition.
3. Information to candidates:
At the end of each stage, candidates will be informed of the decisions taken in their case.
B. Reserve list
A reserve list of suitable candidates will be drawn up by Eurofound.
The list can be used as a reserve for recruitment should additional vacancies arise. It will be valid for up to two years from the closing date for this competition and may be extended. Successful candidates will be duly informed of any extension.
IV. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Contract, category and grade:
The successful candidate will be recruited to Function Group AD Grade 6, as Temporary Agent with a contract of indefinite duration.
Place of employment:
Dublin, Ireland. Residence within reasonable distance of Eurofound’s offices will be required.
The initial basic monthly salary will be according to Function Group AD, Grade 6, step 1 (typically €7,036.90 per month, see ), to Function Group AD, Grade 6, step 2 of the salary table under Article 66 of the Staff Regulations of Officials of the European Communities, depending on the candidate’s training and professional experience. It will, where appropriate, be increased by the allowances set out in the relevant Staff Regulations.
Remuneration is subject to Community tax and other deductions laid down in the Staff Regulations. It is, however, exempt from any national taxation.
The salary is subject to the Irish weighting factor which is currently 121.9%.
Submission of applications
A completed application form, detailed curriculum vitae (European format: see http://europass.cedefop.eu.int/htm/index.htm) and a letter of motivation should be submitted through the Eurofound online recruitment system. Following submission of your application, the system will automatically generate an email acknowledgement, with your candidate number.
In order to be considered, applications must be received before 12:00 midday (GMT) on 16/10/2009
Correspondence: please quote your candidate number on all correspondence.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
- Candidates must use the official application form associated with this Vacancy Notice on the Foundation’s website at www.eurofound.europa.eu.
- The application form must be accompanied by a curriculum vitae (Europass version) and a letter of motivation. Incomplete applications will not be admitted to the competition.
- The application form should be completed in English.
- Applications must be submitted using the Eurofound online recruitment system.
- In preparing their applications, candidates may in no event refer to documents, applications or other forms submitted in connection with previous applications.
- Please ensure that the email address provided on your application is correct (and that your mailbox is not full), as most correspondence will be by email.
- Candidates who are invited for interview will be required to produce copies of their diplomas, academic qualifications and employment certificates, with proof of nationality and a recent passport type photo.
- Candidates are asked to report any change of address in writing without delay, mentioning the candidate number.
- Candidates are reminded that the Selection Committee’s work and deliberations are confidential. It is forbidden for candidates to make direct or indirect contact with the Selection Committee or for anybody to do so on their behalf. All enquiries or requests for information or documentation in relation to the competition should be addressed to the Secretary to the Selection Committee (email: email@example.com).
VI. DATA PROTECTION
Any personal data provided by the candidate shall be processed pursuant to European Regulation related to personal data protection, in particular Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movements of such data. It shall be processed solely for the purposes of the performance, management and follow-up of information requested by the candidate. The candidate shall have the right of access to his personal data and the right to rectify any such data that is inaccurate or incomplete. Should the candidate have any queries concerning the processing of his/her personal data, he shall address them to the Data Protection Officer, Eurofound, Wyattville Road, Dublin 18, Ireland.