The effects of digitalisation on the quality of working life
Eurofound, in cooperation with the Finnish Ministries of Economic Affairs and Employment and Social Affairs and Health as well as the Finnish social partners, organised a one-day seminar on 'The effects of digitalisation on the quality of working life' on 26 November 2019 in Helsinki.
The event brought together experts, policy makers, Eurofound Management Board Members and members of the Network of Eurofound Correspondents, as well as national level social partners. The aim was to discuss the effects of digitalisation on the quality of working life and to identify policies supporting quality in work in the digital age. The seminar brought together up to 40 participants from Denmark, Estonia, Finland and Sweden.
Since the onset of digitalisation, many workers are experiencing greater flexibility in work. However, a digital work environment also brings challenges such as the blurring of boundaries between work and personal time as well as higher levels of work intensity. Policy attention is shifting towards the challenges relating to changing practices in work organisation, the increase of digitalisation and the rise of new forms of employment and the effects on quality of work.
The objective of the seminar was to use Eurofound findings to facilitate debate and networking with national level actors. It also aimed to feed into and provide information for the shaping of national level policies such as Finland’s upcoming plans on quality of work and digitalisation. The seminar encouraged participants to exchange ideas and learn about good practices from their neighbouring countries.
Attendance was strictly by invitation.
Programme and presentations
- Programme: The effects of digitalisation on the quality of working life (PDF)
- Presentation: The effects of digitalisation on the quality of working life - Juan Menéndez-Valdés, Executive Director, Eurofound
- Presentation: What is changing at work? - Barbara Gerstenberger, Head of Unit, Working life, Eurofound
- Presentation: Productivity together project - Jarmo Päivä, Senior Advisor, Health and Safety Productivity, Industrial Relations, Technology Industries of Finland; Pasi Karttunen, Contract Specialist, Industrial Union (FI)
- Presentation: Finanssiala project - Tarja Kallonen, Head of Financial Work and Competence, Finance Finland (FI)
- Presentation: New forms of employment - Barbara Gerstenberger, Head of Unit, Working life, Eurofound
For more information, please contact email@example.com.