Living, working and COVID-19 data
Eurofound’s e-survey, Living, working and COVID-19, captures the experience of living and working through the pandemic, with the aim of helping policymakers to bring about an equal recovery from the crisis. Three rounds of this unique survey have been carried out to date.
- Round 1: Launched on 9 April 2020 when most Member States were in their first lockdown
- Round 2: July 2020 when economies and societies were gradually reopening
- Round 3: March 2021, almost a year on, as countries were still dealing with various levels of lockdown
To date, the survey examined quality of life and quality of society during this difficult time, with questions ranging from life satisfaction, happiness and optimism, to health and levels of trust in institutions. Respondents were also asked about their work situation, their work–life balance and use of teleworking during the COVID-19 crisis. In the second round, people were also asked about job quality and health and safety at work, online schooling, use of online services, as well as the extent to which they had requested and availed of government support schemes during the pandemic. Additional questions were added in the third round focusing on attitudes and willingness to be vaccinated, trust in science, use of and trust in social media. There are also new questions that examine access to and quality of public services during COVID-19.
Explore the data for the three rounds of the survey.
- Data: Quality of life and quality of society during COVID-19
- Data: Democracy and trust during COVID-19 (new in round 3)
- Data: Working during COVID-19
- Data: Financial situation and security during COVID-19
- Data: Quality of public services during COVID-19
- Data: Support measures during COVID-19 (new in round 3)
- Data: Vaccinations during COVID-19 (new in round 3)
Read the full report
A factsheet for round 3 of the e-survey is now available.
- Publication: Living, working and COVID-19 (Update April 2021): Mental health and trust decline across EU as pandemic enters another year
Read the full report covering the first and second rounds of the survey.
- Publication: Living, working and COVID-19 (published September 2020)
This report will be updated to include the analysis of round 3 and will be re-published in spring 2022.
In light of the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union on 31 January 2020, it should be noted that data published on the Eurofound website may include the 28 EU Member States, as the UK was covered in earlier research. This will be progressively amended to reflect the current composition of the 27 EU Member States.