Information on cookies
- What are cookies?
- What cookies do we use and how do we use them?
- Why do we need your consent?
Cookies are short text files stored on a user’s device (such as a computer, tablet or phone) by a website, which could be used for the technical functioning of a website, for gathering statistics on the use of the website or for other purposes, such as to provide a user with a more personalised experience (for example, to enable an online service to remember your user profile without you having to login again). Thus, cookies allow a website to store certain information in order to improve the user experience by eliminating the need to insert repeatedly the same information. Our cookies are not used to identify you personally.
For further information on cookies, please visit http://www.youronlinechoices.com/.
- manage sessions for logged in users
- remember language and other settings
- monitor site usage using Google Analytics and PIWIK (web analytics tools)
Cookies will not be used for any purpose other than the ones stated above. Eurofound fully controls and accesses the data collected through first-party cookies.
We use both (i) first-party cookies (set by Eurofound’s website that you are visiting. Only that website can read them. These cookies are strictly necessary for the provision of the web service requested by you), and (ii) third-party analytics and social plug-in tracking cookies.
Cookies from Google Analytics help Eurofound’s web team to analyse how users use the site and to compile reports about website activity. This information will not be passed on to third parties
The following data are processed:
- IP address (masked)
- Location: country, region, city, approximate latitude and longitude (Geolocation)
- Date and time of the request (visit to the site)
- Title of the page being viewed (Page Title)
- URL of the page being viewed (Page URL)
- URL of the page that was viewed prior to the current page (Referrer URL)
- Screen resolution of user's device
- Time in local visitor's time-zone
- Files that were clicked and downloaded (Download)
- Links to an outside domain that were clicked (Outlink)
- Page generation time (the time it takes for web pages to be generated by the web server and then downloaded by the visitor: Page speed)
- Main language of the browser being used (Accept-Language header)
- Browser version, browser plug-ins (PDF, Flash, Java, …) operating system version, device identifier (User-Agent header)
- Language of the visited page
- Site search
The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers outside the EU. Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
We use social media to present our work through widely used communications channels.
For instance, you can watch Eurofound videos, which we also upload to our YouTube page and follow links from our website to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
In order to protect your privacy, you are not immediately redirected to social media or other websites when navigating through our website pages. However, some of our social media buttons to connect to those services might set cookies when our website pages are loaded on your device. There is no installation of cookies from any of the social media until you consent to their cookies and then are redirected to their website.
Each social media channel has their own policy on the way they process your personal data when you access their sites. For example, if you choose to watch one of our videos on YouTube, you will be asked for explicit consent to accept YouTube cookies; if you look at our Twitter activity on Twitter, you will be asked for explicit consent to accept Twitter cookies; the same applies for Facebook and LinkedIn.
Please note that Eurofound does not control social media cookies. If you have any concerns or questions about their use of your personal data, you should read their privacy policies carefully before using them.
Here is a full list of the types of cookies we use together with information on the cookie purpose, the identity of the third party, if any, the retention period of the data collected and links to the third-party privacy policies.
- EUR-Lex: Directive 2002/58/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 July 2002 concerning the processing of personal data and the protection of privacy in the electronic communications sector (Directive on privacy and electronic communications)
'Do not track' is a function that allows visitors not to be tracked by websites. 'Do not track' options are available in a number of browsers including:
In addition, all the browsers allow the user to accept, decline or delete cookies, in particular by selecting the appropriate settings in the browser. Please note, however, that disabling cookies may prevent the correct functioning of some of the services on our website, thus affecting the browsing, in total or in part, which will have an impact on your experience of using our website.
For further information on how you are able to control the cookies stored in your device, please visit the following links of the main browsers and devices:
Should you require any additional information on the cookies and similar technology we use, please send your request to DataProtectionOfficer@eurofound.europa.eu.