The EFRecord.dot MS Word template must be used when writing reports for the Foundation. This page describes how to download and install the template on your Windows or Mac PC. You must install the template on each PC that you use. A new version of the Word template for was released in 2011.
Please ensure you are using the right version:
- for Word 2002/XP and Word 2003, the version is 2.3;
- for Word 2007 and Word 2010, the version is 3.1.
Download the template
Right-click on one of the links below, choose ‘Save Target As…’, and save the file to a folder on your computer.
- Word 2002/XP, and 2003 on Windows (EFRecordTemplateInstaller2_3.zip, 254KB) Updated with new digital signature July 2012
- Word 2007 or 2010 on Windows (EFRecordWord2010Installer.zip, 609KB) Updated with new digital signature July 2012
- Word 2004 on MacOSX (EFRecordTemplateInstaller2_0_Mac.doc, 650KB) No change
- Start Word, go to Macro Security Settings using the command Tools>Macro>Security…, and set the Security Level to 'Medium', not 'High' or 'Very High'.
- Open the downloaded Word file.
- A dialog box may be displayed, warning you that the file contains macros from 'XML Workshop Ltd.'. If so, click on the checkbox marked 'Always trust macros from this source', and then click the 'Enable Macros' button.
- A prompt dialog box will be displayed, to warn that the template will be installed. Click '‘Yes' to confirm.
- Enter your correct details when prompted. You will be asked for your name and initials, and then your organisation and the language you use for Organisation names in records.
- You should see a message saying the installation has successfully completed. If an error message appears instead, see the section on troubleshooting below.
- Note that if you also use another PC, you must install the template there too.
Installing the template for Word 2007 or Word 2010 on Windows
- Download the Zip file linked above, and save it to a folder.
- Start Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder, and unzip the files from the Zip file into the folder. The two Word files EFRecordWord2010Installer.doc and EFRecord.dotm should now be present in the folder.
Start Word, and run the command File>Options (Word 2010), or press the Office button in the top left, then select Options from the menu (Word 2007). This displays the Options dialog box. Select the Trust Center tab, and click on the “Trust Center Settings” button (see the screenshot below).
- In the Trust Center dialog box, select the Macro Settings tab, and select the option “Disable all macros except digitally signed macros”. Then click OK and OK again to return to the main Word inferface (see the screenshot below).
- Open the downloaded Word file EFRecordWord2010Installer.doc.
- If a yellow warning banner appears across the top of the Word window, then click on the text “Macros have been disabled” or “Some active content has been disabled. Click for more details.” Do not click on the “Enable content” button (see screenshot below).
- The file information dialog box is displayed. Click on the “Enable Content” button, and a dropdown menu is displayed. Click on the “Advanced Options” menu item (see screenshot below).
- A dialog box is displayed, warning you that the file contains macros from 'XML Workshop Ltd.'. Click on the checkbox marked 'Trust all documents from this publisher’, and click OK.
- A prompt dialog box will be displayed, to warn that the template will be installed. Click '‘Yes' to confirm (see screenshot below).
- Enter your correct details when prompted. You will be asked for your name and initials in another dialog box, and then your organisation and the language you use for Organisation names in records.
- You should see a dialog box saying the installation has successfully completed. If an error message appears instead, see the section on troubleshooting below.
After installation, use the following procedure to check that the new template is being used.
- In Word, use the command File>New…, (in Word 2003, click 'On my computer...'; in Word 2007/2010, click 'My templates'), select the template EFRecord.dot, and click 'Open'.
- Word should display a dialog box, prompting you to select the appropriate Foundation project and article type (EIRO, EWCO, etc).
- Select a project, and another dialog box, for metadata, will be displayed. Click OK. Then use the command EFRecord>About EFRecord to check the version number. If you are using Word 2007 or 2010 it should be version 3.1. If you are using Word 2002/XP or Word 2003 it should be version 2.3. If it isn't one of these, the template you are using is not the correct version. Check your User Templates folder location.
- If no dialog box is displayed, the template has not been installed correctly. Contact your internal IT support unit for assistance.
- If Word displays the error message 'No Word templates were found in <folder name> Installation aborted', it is probably because you either saved the EFRecord.dot file as EFRecord.doc, or you didn't save both files to the same folder. Correct the problem and try again.
- If Word displays the error message 'Permission Denied', it is probably because you already have a Word file open, which is using the same template. Close all open Word files and try again.
- If Word displays the error message ' File/Path not accessible', it is probably because the folder identified in your Word User Templates folder setting is incorrect. Check it using the command Tools>Options… File Locations tab.
- Template reference guide (.pdf) - updated 21 December, 2009