Living, working and COVID-19 data
Eurofound’s e-survey, Living, working and COVID-19, captures the experience of living and working through the pandemic, with the aim of helping policymakers to bring about an equal recovery from the crisis. Various rounds of this unique survey have been carried out to date.
- Round 1: Launched on 9 April 2020 when most Member States were in their first lockdown
- Round 2: July 2020 when economies and societies were gradually reopening
- Round 3: March 2021, almost a year on, as countries were still dealing with various levels of lockdown
- Round 4: October–November 2021, recontacting panel respondents only, making it possible to track developments since the start of the pandemic
- Round 5: 29 March–2 May 2022, looking at how life has changed in Europe over the past two years
To date, the survey examined quality of life and quality of society during this difficult time, with questions ranging from life satisfaction, happiness and optimism, to health and levels of trust in institutions. Respondents were also asked about their work situation, their work–life balance and use of teleworking during the COVID-19 crisis. In the second round, people were also asked about job quality and health and safety at work, online schooling, use of online services, as well as the extent to which they had requested and availed of government support schemes during the pandemic. Additional questions were added in the third round focusing on attitudes and willingness to be vaccinated, trust in science, as well as use of and trust in social media. Questions also examined access to and quality of public services during COVID-19. While a continuation of previous surveys, the fifth round focuses more on questions related to housing, living and financial conditions, and reflections on work–life balance including the division of labour at home. Data from round 5 will be available at the end of 2022.
Explore the data for the first three rounds of the survey.
- Data: Quality of life during COVID-19
- Data: Democracy and trust during COVID-19 (new in round 3)
- Data: Working during COVID-19
- Data: Financial situation and security during COVID-19
- Data: Quality of public services during COVID-19
- Data: Support measures during COVID-19 (new in round 3)
- Data: Vaccinations during COVID-19 (new in round 3)
Read the full report
A factsheet for round 3 of the e-survey is available.
- Publication: Living, working and COVID-19 (Update April 2021): Mental health and trust decline across EU as pandemic enters another year
Read the full report covering the first and second rounds of the survey.
- Publication: Living, working and COVID-19 (published September 2020)
This report will be updated to include the analysis of rounds 3, 4 and 5 and will be re-published in late 2022.
In light of the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union on 31 January 2020, it should be noted that data published on the Eurofound website may include the 28 EU Member States, as the UK was covered in earlier research. This will be progressively amended to reflect the current composition of the 27 EU Member States.