- Support for digitalisation
- Attracting investors
- Fostering innovation
- Support of companies' growth
- Support of internationalisation
- Support of SMEs
SPIRIT - Javna agencija Republike Slovenije za spodbujanje podjetništva, internacionalizacije, tujih investicij in tehnologije
SPIRIT - Public Agency for Entrepreneurship, Internationalization, Foreign Investments and Technology
Services provided by the Agency are available to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
Slovenian government’s Agency SPIRIT is a single point of contact for Slovenian companies and potential foreign investors alike. The agency is in charge of the regulatory, expert and development tasks serving to increase the competitiveness of Slovenian economy in the area of entrepreneurship, internationalisation, foreign investment, and technology. It prepares and provides practical information and advice, offers financial incentives to innovative companies, and develops entrepreneurial competences.
The Agency operates with two networks, 12 local offices - ‘Slovenian Business Points’ (Slovenske poslovne točke, SPOT) - and a network of ‘Innovative Environment Entities’ (Subjekti inovativnega okolja, SIO). Slovenian Business Points offer face-to-face consultation and advice, organise events, training and provide information for SPIRIT’s websites. The Innovative Environment Entities network encompasses 18 incubators and technological parks. It communicates through two channels: websites Business Portal and Export Window.
The ‘Business Portal’ website supports beginners, as well as experienced entrepreneurs who want to build up a healthy and stable enterprise. On the web portal, users can find information about:
- Business opportunities, national as well as international
- Education and training about international business, strategic plaining, sustainable business, and digitalisation
- Financial incentives for company’s growth and development
- Business events for discovering new sales channels
The ‘Export Window’ website provides, free of charge, information and consultancy to existing and potential exporters. Services include:
- A web portal with basic and up to date information for beginners in international trade
- Consultancy and assistance in organising participation at international trade fairs
- Training in international business (including international seminars, lectures about sales techniques, presentation of legislation and the like)
- Supply of contacts to exporters searching for business partners, and in particular industries abroad.
The targeted markets are from 52 countries.
- National funds
Data from the annual report for the year 2018 indicate the effectiveness of the measure:
- 420,000 searches on the Business Portal (one third increase in 2018 compared to 2017) and 92,000 on Export Window
- Slovenian Business Points supported 3,525 newly established companies; Innovative Environment Entities incubated - 421 companies
- 19,126 attended the trainings (4,256 attended trainings organised by SPIRIT, 14,870 - trainings by Slovenian Business Points and Innovative Environment Entities) and were very satisfied with training (by 4.2 points on a scale from 1 to 5).
- SPIRIT co-financed 511 companies with a total amount of €23 million.
The study Internationalisation of European SMEs (2010) presents Export Window as an example of good practice.
Comprehensive information regarding all aspects of export activity, available free of charge and online, making it accessible to small businesses nationwide.
Efficient use of internet as a business communication tool.
A limited budget is available for this instrument, but its efficiency (relation between effect and costs) can be nevertheless estimated as being relatively high.