From crowdwork to Ola auto: Can platform economies improve livelihoods in emerging markets?
This essay examines whether and how work related platforms impact livelihoods from the perspective of the worker, drawing on examples from ethnographic studies of two different types of platform-based work: 1) Crowd-workers on Amazon Mechanical Turk, and 2) auto-rickshaw drivers using Ola Auto. The paper focusses on independence and flexibility, motivation and job satisfaction and algorithmic management
Access the Research publicationFrom crowdwork to Ola auto: Can platform economies improve livelihoods in emerging markets?
- Ola, Amazon Mechanical Turk
- professional services, transport
- On-location platform-determined routine work, Online moderately skilled click work
- India, United States
- Research publication, Case study-platform
- autonomy, flexibility and control, algorithm
- IDRC (International Development Research Centre) (Research institute)
- Qualitative research
- Open access