Riders’ Union Netherlands
In the Netherlands, food delivery riders affiliated to the food delivery platform Deliveroo set up a Facebook group and tried to mobilise riders of similar platforms (Foodora, Uber Eats, Thuisbezorgd). Among their main activities are protest marches organised during late 2017 against riders’ forced self-employment as per February 2018, as well as two strikes in January 2018, in which the Riders’ Union has been supported by the Dutch trade union FNV. In 2019, the Riders’ Union was successful in a legal dispute with Deliveroo, requiring Deliveroo to offer employment contracts to its workers. Deliveroo has still the option to appeal against this decision (further information here).
- Organising and representing workers
- Employee organisation, Worker
- On-location platform-determined routine work
- Deliveroo, Thuisbezorgd/Takeaway, Uber Eats
- representation, industrial relations, social dialogue