Eurofound discusses latest research with President of Ireland
Eurofound’s Executive Director, Ivailo Kalfin, and Deputy Director, Maria Jepsen, met with President Michael D Higgins this morning to discuss latest research on issues such as trust, housing, youth, and the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on society in Europe. They also spoke about Eurofound’s unique role as the only EU agency based in Ireland, the benefits of EU membership for the country, and Ireland’s 50 years of EU membership since its decision to join the EEC in 1972.
Speaking at the conclusion of the meeting Ivailo Kalfin said:
‘It was an honour to meet President Higgins, his interest and expertise in areas related to Eurofound’s research is well established. We appreciated discussing the challenges of societal transformations and furthering the development of an ethical and inclusive society with him, as well as having his perspective on the challenges and opportunities faced by Ireland and Europe more broadly.’
Maria Jepsen said:
‘Meeting with President Higgins was a great pleasure and very timely considering the anniversary of Ireland’s decision to join the EEC in 1972. We look forward to future close cooperation with the President’s office, the Irish government, and political institutions.’
- Publication: Living and working in Europe 2021
- Blog: Eurofound survey reveals widespread report for Ukraine
- Forthcoming publication: Fifth round of COVID-19 e-survey: Living in the new era of uncertainty
- Forthcoming publication: Affordable and adequate homes - The cost of and access to housing in Europe
- Government of Ireland: 50 Years of Ireland and the EU
Maria Jepsen (left) and Ivailo Kalfin (right), photographed with President Higgins (centre) this morning.