Eurofound News October 2012
If you would like to receive Eurofound News by email (10 issues a year), please sign up now.
Findings in Figures
- 14 million – the number of young people aged 15-24 not in employment, education or training (NEETs) across the EU in 2011, ranging from 5.5% in the Netherlands to 22.7% in Italy NEETs - Young people not in employment, education or training: Characteristics, costs and policy responses in Europe
- 1.2% – the economic cost of not integrating NEETs in terms of proportion of GDP (over €150 billion) NEETs - Young people not in employment, education or training: Characteristics, costs and policy responses in Europe
- 6,000 – the number of new research and development jobs announced (50% in France) by international high-tech group Safran European Restructuring Monitor, October 2012
- €160 million – the expected amount of budget savings in Slovakia in 2012 as a result of changes to pension contributions Significant changes to pension system
- 70%–80% – the percentage increase in risk of breast cancer among nurses in Norway who regularly worked consecutive night shifts for more than five years, compared to nurses who never worked nights at all Night work increases the risk of breast cancer in nurses
Join our trainee scheme
Eurofound’s traineeship scheme gives recent graduates of all ages the opportunity to gain practical experience within a multicultural, multilingual European agency. Trainees can apply to work in research, information and communication, HR or administration. But take note: Places are limited and competition is high. We’ll be open for applications in Nov/Dec – watch this space for how and when to apply.