EMCC European Monitoring Centre on Change

Europharm

Company/Organisation:
Europharm

Geographic Location

Country: Romania
Region: Brasov; Centru
Location of affected unit(s): Brasov

Company

Sector: Manufacturing
Manufacture of pharmaceuticals, medicinal chemical and botanical products
21.20 - Manufacture of pharmaceutical preparations
Number Employed: 200
Group: GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)

Employment Effects

Announcement Date: 08-02-2016
Planned Job Reductions min: 200
Planned Job Reductions max: 200
Type of Restructuring: Closure
Foreseen End Date: 31-03-2016
Direct Dismissals: 200

Additional Information

British Group GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is to close its local factory Europharm in Brasov in March 2016. As a result 200 employees will lose their job. The  group announced that the redundant employees will receive severance packages and support to find a new job. Some of the production may be transferred to Spain and Poland.

GSK had announced last year its intention to sell the plant due to over-production in the solid oral formulas.

The plant was set up in 1994 and manufactured drugs for the treatment of HIV/AIDS, respiratory disease, depression, the flu/anti-inflammatory. Later in 1996 the British Group acquired 65% stake in the Romanian factory and the remainder 35% in 2003.