Lag (1982:80) om Anställningsskydd
Employment protection act (1982:80)
The notice period for collective (and other) dismissals is one month for all employees with less than two years of service.
This is extended to:
- Two months for those with 2 to 4 years of service;
- Three months for workers with 4 to 6 years of service;
- Four months for those with 6 to 8 years of service;
- Five months for employees with 8 to 10 years of service;
- Six months for those who have worked at the company for longer than 10 years.
If an employee is dismissed while on parental leave, the notice period begins when the employee comes back from parental leave, or when he/she was scheduled come back from parental leave.
This general rule applies to all workers, although improvement is possible by collective agreement. In addition, various rights apply during the notice period, such as the right to time off work for job search and the right to usual pay regardless of whether there are work tasks to perform.
The ongoing reform process of the Employment protection act will not change the length of notice periods.