Quality assurance for Eurofound surveys
Eurofound aims to ensure high quality of its survey data by complying with commonly agreed standards for the methodology and procedures. This is done by following the European Statistical System (ESS) quality criteria in the survey design, implementation and quality assessment. For Eurofound surveys the criteria are applied as follows.
- Relevance: Ensuring that the survey meets current and potential user needs
- Accuracy: Having data for which the estimates are as close to the true values as possible. In practical terms this is done by minimizing any errors in the survey
- Timeliness and punctuality: Disseminating data as close to the reference period as possible and following the timetable set for the release of the data
- Accessibility and clarity: Enabling the users to access the survey findings and data easily and offering them the necessary background information for interpreting the findings
- Coherence and comparability: Reviewing the data in comparison with other related data originating from other sources and assessing whether the differences are attributable to differences between true values. Establishing comparability of data across geographical areas and over time.
The aim is to continuously improve the quality and cost efficiency of the surveys. Quality criteria, and the necessary steps in the process to meet these criteria, are set out both in the tender specifications and in the detailed planning of the survey process. Procedures for checking all aspects of the survey preparation, fieldwork and data processing and for collecting comprehensive documentation of how the quality criteria are met are put in place.
The impact of the surveys on policy making and the use of the data in research are monitored regularly. Information is gathered on how the surveys meet user needs. Furthermore, external quality assessments of the data and the survey processes are commissioned and published.